- Decide what you're trying to say.
- Say what's real to you in the moment.
- Don't edit until you're finished writing (also don't over-edit).
- Journal as a practice when you begin to write songs.
- Listen for the cry in songs.
- Find a piano and hum out your melodies.
- Write down your first melody, but then tweak it as you go.
- Pick the rhythm that works well with your lyrics.
- Write to a metronome.
- Try writing within the confines of a specific.
- Try your melody as 3/4's, 6/8's or 4/4's.